Men’s Shaving & Shaving Product FAQs
If you have questions about men’s grooming, shaving products, or a related issue, you’re in the right place!
Our experts have put together these FAQs to share helpful answers to some common questions we get about:
- Shaving best practices
- Shaving complications
- Men’s shaving products
- TONSOR’s offerings
Explore the shaving FAQs below for more, and don’t hesitate to contact us for more answers or to place an order.
FAQs: Men’s Shaving Best Practices
Discover what it takes to get a better shave and next-level results in the FAQs below.
How often should men shave?
It depends on the look you’re going for, but generally, men should shave:
- Every 1 to 2 days for a cleaner-cut appearance
- Every 3 or so days for a more rugged look
Keep in mind that daily shaving can be the right choice for some men too — and that daily shavers should invest in some quality grooming tools and the best men’s shaving products to achieve the best results day in and day out.
Do you exfoliate before or after shaving?
Exfoliate first, and shave second for a closer shave. When you exfoliate, you’re removing dead skin cells, so they don’t clog the razor blade or interfere with a smooth shave. In fact, exfoliating first is one pro trick that can help you get a better shave every time.
Does shaving help beard or mustache growth?
No, that’s a myth, and there’s no data to really back it up.
Shaving manages hair growth, instead of stimulating it. When done right, shaving can really highlight an individual’s best features while adding awesome style.
FAQs: Shaving Complications
Find out how to address, prevent, and deal with some of the most common (and uncomfortable) problems associated with shaving.
How do I get rid of shaving bumps?
Razor burn or razor bumps are a common, uncomfortable, and potentially unsightly complication of shaving. To get rid of razor bumps after shaving:
- Splash cold water on irritated skin. Cool water can soothe inflamed skin and start to calm razor burn down.
- Moisturize, ideally with a product designed to rehydrate the skin after shaving, like TONSOR’s cooling CBD aftershave.
- Revisit your shaving routine and adjust if needed. If you’re not using warm water, shaving cream, and the right techniques when shaving, you could be giving yourself razor burn — and making some simple adjustments to your routine could help you avoid it.
Here are a few more things to keep in mind when it comes to shaving and preventing or addressing razor burn:
- Shaving bumps are more likely to arise with dry shaving, as opposed to wet shaving.
- Dull, dirty, and old razors can increase the risk of razor burn.
- Shaving with the grain, instead of against it, can help prevent razor bumps.
How can I stop or prevent itching after shaving?
Like razor burn, skin itchiness can be another uncomfortable — and totally avoidable — result of shaving.
Also like razor burn, pairing high-quality shaving products with best practices in grooming can help minimize the chances of post-shaving itchiness. So can shaving regularly, as opposed to infrequently.
- Using warm water and shaving cream
- Making sure you have a sharp, clean, quality razor
- Shaving with the grain, taking care to not press down too hard
- Moisturizing and doing some basic post-shave care
If you’re doing all of that and still experiencing the discomfort of itching after shaving, you may want to switch up some of your grooming products and try out some of the luxury shaving items developed by TONSOR.
How can I prevent ingrown hairs after shaving?
Ingrown hairs happen when newly cut hair folds back and grows into the skin, instead of outside of it. While ingrown hairs are very common with shaving, you can avoid them by:
- Exfoliating before you shave
- Using warm water and shaving cream while you shave
- Shaving with the grain, instead of against it
- Not pulling or stretching skin as you’re shaving
It’s worth pointing out that:
- Ingrown hairs often show up alongside other shaving complications, like redness, skin irritation, and razor burn.
- Simply using high-quality products with the right shaving techniques can go a long way toward addressing and preventing these shaving complications.
What's the best way to stop bleeding after shaving?
If you get some small nicks and cuts while shaving, you can stop them from bleeding by:
- Applying cold water or ice to constrict the blood vessels
- Using a styptic pencil, which can stop bleeding while preventing bacterial infection
- Applying high-quality aftershave, like TONSOR’s cooling CBD aftershave
- Using lip balm or petroleum jelly products for smaller, shallow cuts
With shaving cuts, it’s also important to keep in mind that:
- Nicks and cuts can take days to weeks to heal.
- While it’s OK to shave over healed cuts and scars, you’ll want to avoid open wounds or scabs. Shaving over those can cause deeper wounds, and it could raise your risk of infection.
FAQs: Shaving Products
Zero in on the right shaving products for your needs, your skin, and your routine — and discover the best ways to use those products — in the FAQs below.
What does shaving cream do?
Shaving cream can act as a lubricating buffer between a razor blade and your skin. That means that shaving cream can protect the skin while minimizing friction to provide a smoother shave. Shaving cream also moisturizes and softens the hair, making it easier to cut.
That’s why it’s best to use shaving cream whenever you’re shaving your face or other areas.
Of course, you can shave without shaving cream (or gels). If you do, you probably won’t get as close of a shave. And you can end up with irritated skin, razor burn, ingrown hairs, and/or cuts.
How do I use shaving cream?
Generally, here’s the best way to apply shaving cream:
- Clean the area of the skin that you’re going to shave, using warm water.
- Do not dry your skin (leave it wet for the shave).
- Lather the shaving cream, ideally using a shaving brush and a heat-retaining ceramic shaving bowl.
- Using the shaving brush, apply the shaving cream on the skin, layering it so that it’s thick enough to fully hide the skin from view.
Now, it’s time to shave!
What should I use after shaving?
Use a cooling aftershave, like TONSOR’s cooling CBD aftershave, to calm the skin, moisturize it, and protect it from bacteria. This can be especially important if:
- You have dry or sensitive skin.
- You’re prone to razor burn or ingrown hairs.
With this simple aftershave routine, you can take care of your skin the right way while letting the results of your shave shine (instead of having to deal with red, irritated skin).
How do I use aftershave?
The best way to apply aftershave is to:
- Gently pat your face dry, using a clean towel, when you are done shaving.
- Pour some aftershave on your hands.
- Carefully touch your face to apply the aftershave to the recently shaved areas.
- Leave the product on and let your skin rest.
Use aftershave after every facial shave for the best results.
Do shaving products really make a difference in the results of a shave?
Yes, they most certainly do. That’s because poor-quality shaving products can be:
- Full of additives and harsh ingredients
- Unwieldy, awkward to hold, and challenging to use
- Prone to rust, damage, or other problems that can interfere with shaving
- Irritating, if not damaging, to the skin
If you’ve used ultra-low-budget razors or out-of-date shaving creams or aftershaves, none of this is a big surprise.
So, the bottom line is this:
- Using quality razors, shaving brushes, shaving creams, and other shaving products DOES make a difference.
- You could end up with crappy shaves or worse if you’re not using the right shaving products.
TONSOR has everything you need to get the BEST shave every time, including safety razors and razor blades, men’s shaving kits, shaving brushes, shaving bowls, beard combs, lathering brushes, curling sponges, cooling CBD aftershave, and more.
FAQs: TONSOR’s Offerings
Learn more about us, what we offer, what we do, and what you can expect when you buy our upscale shaving products.
Choose TONSOR because you want the finest men’s shaving products at extremely reasonable prices — and because you want luxury personal care products crafted by a master Tonsor who has more than 20 years of industry experience. In fact, TONSOR’s shaving products are:
- Designed to work for nearly all skin types
- Specially formulated from the highest quality ingredients
- Crafted to work well, last, and provide great results day in and day out
- Trusted by men and barbers across the U.S. to deliver the BEST shaving experiences
That’s why TONSOR has been barbershops’ secret weapon for years, and it’s why more and more men are trusting us to give them better shaves and the best shaving products around.
How much does shipping cost?
Shipping costs depend on a few different factors, including:
- The size of the order
- Where we’re sending it to
Shipping costs are calculated in your cart when you’re ready to check out, and we always do our best to keep shipping costs as low as possible.
Plus, we offer FREE shipping on all orders over $150.
Can I place a wholesale order?
Absolutely! We regularly fulfill all types and sizes of wholesale orders, serving as the supplier of choice for experienced barbers — and some of the most popular barbershops — across the nation.
Beyond that, we do wholesale orders for other commercial clients too, with some opting for recurring orders to ensure they’re never out of our most exclusive shaving products.
Let us know what you need, and we’ll explain the options, pricing, and other solutions we can offer to meet your wholesale needs.
I got the wrong item or a damaged item. What now?
Contact us immediately and tell us more about what happened. Depending on the details, there may be an issue or mix-up with the warehouse, the mail, or something else. We’ll get to the bottom of it, and we’ll work out a fair solution, doing whatever we can to make it right ASAP.
What’s the return and refund policy?
We have a 30-day return and refund policy because we stand behind our products.
To get a refund, simply email us here and:
- Tell us why you’re returning the product.
- Make sure the item has not been opened, used, or damaged. Refunds are not available for items that are not in their original packaging, unopened, unused, and undamaged.
- Mail the product back to us at:
617 Main Street
Vancouver, WA, 98660
Once we receive the item, we’ll issue a refund or work with you to exchange the item, sending out the new product ASAP.
Please be aware that we do NOT accept returns for, nor do we issue refunds for, certain products, including (but not limited to):
- Gift cards
- Sale and clearance items
- Miscellaneous perishables
Need More Answers?
We can help. Just reach out for more info, and we’ll get back to you with helpful answers ASAP.